Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Cleaning/Laundry Recipes

Okay, so I am budget conscious and trying to be earth friendly as well.

Insert homemade cleaning supplies :) I thought I would share what I use.

First Up - Cloth Diaper Detergent
I have been using this since October 2008 with no issues. I've actually received compliments on used diapers that I have sold smelling so good and asking what I used :) That felt nice.

Here's what I do. It's cheap and I love it :)

More or less, It's: (this is not exact, since I use the larger recipe below)
1 cup washing soda
1 cup borax
1/2 cup of oxiclean

BUT.... I don't like having misc. leftovers, so I make up a batch... like this :)
It should cost $30, max.

3 Boxes Arm & Hammer Washing Soda (55 oz each)
2 Boxes 20 Mule Team Borax (76 oz each)
1 Large Tub OxiClean (96 oz)

Yes, it's a lot, but it's super cheap to make, so no biggie :) It just lasts forever. Or you can share :)

Oh and this is my wash routine:

Cold wash/rinse w/ 1 tablespoon of detergent
Hot wash/rinse w/ 1 tablespoon of detergent

DD is older now and thus pees a ton more, so I often add some vinegar to my hot wash. Maybe 1/4-1/2 a cup. Not always though.

It's worked for me so far :)

If you try this recipe, please post to let others know how it works for you :)

2 comments:

MrsLewis on October 7, 2009 at 2:37 PM said...

Do you use this only on cloth diapers or on all your clothes as well?

Trailmixy on December 10, 2010 at 8:28 AM said...

We've been using it as our only detergent and it is working out great!

Newer Older Home
 
Copyright © 2010 The Eco-Friendly Family