Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Cleaning Up Stained Kids' Clothes

I meant to post this last week, but forgot, until I used this method again yesterday.

So, we have a baby girl on the way.

I dug through Lily's old baby clothes and pulled out everything preemie or newborn sized. Thought I'd toss them in the wash and hand them up.

Well, that would have been easy enough if half of them didn't come out with stains that weren't there when I put them away!!! Yipes!!!

After some Googling, I found that stains develop from proteins left in the clothes from drool and misc. things. It can be hard to get rid of, and I found that many people had no luck at all getting rid of it. So I put my cloth diaper knowledge to work. I thought I'd give the sun a shot :)

I have a wash tub in my laundry area, so I filled it about half full of HOT HOT HOT water and added 2 or 3 massive scoops of Oxiclean. I mean the big green scoop that it comes with. I put on my rubber gloves and dissolved the Oxiclean in the water. I then added every piece of stained clothing, being sure to get each saturated. My objective was not to have it be a big pool of water, but just enough to get everything sopping and just a little left over. Perfect!

I let it soak overnight.

The next morning I grabbed a pail and transferred each sopping piece to the washing machine. I added a normal amount of detergent and did a warm wash.

Then, here comes the rest of the magic. I hung them all out to dry in the sunshine.

Voila! Every stain is gone. They all look like new! I couldn't believe it. Some of the stains were God awful too. I had a couple of outfits that were headed for the trash, but I thought I'd toss them in and give them a chance. They look like new too. Wow, just wow. Thank you oxygen action and sunshine, you saved me, yet again :)

1 comments:

Lauren on July 11, 2009 at 7:04 PM said...

Good to know. I sorted through Caleb's close to give some away to a mom in need and was surprised by some of the stains I saw. I will definitely safe this info for the next baby!

Newer Older Home
 
Copyright © 2010 The Eco-Friendly Family